This is the oldest type of laser used for laser hair removal. It is most effective for thin and fine hairs. It cannot be used on people with darker skin and complexions. It is really suitable for those who have fair skin. The ruby laser covers a relatively small area compared to other lasers.
For which skin phototypes is the ruby laser suitable?
The ruby laser is suitable for skin types I and II. It is ideal for people with fair skin and rather ineffective on darker skin.
What are the advantages of the ruby laser?
– Long-lasting hair removal can be achieved
– In case hairs grow back, they are thinner, finer and therefore less noticeable
What are the disadvantages of the Ruby laser?
– Ruby laser procedures are characterized by a very high painfulness, which is why this type of laser is almost no longer used for laser hair removal.
– The ruby laser cannot be used on dark skin and non-pigmented hair. It treats a relatively small area.
– The laser has a slow repetition rate, which inevitably increases the duration of the procedure. There is some risk of burns, scarring, redness and swelling of the skin.
Which are the popular brands of Ruby lasers?
The best known ruby lasers are:
Palomar E2000, RubyStar and EpiPulse Ruby
What is the specification of Ruby laser?
Wavelength: 694 nm
Frequency: 0.5 – 1.2 Hz
Laser spot (working field): 3-10 mm
Pulse duration: 0.85 – 3 ms
Energy range: 5 – 40 J/cm3
The ruby laser has a long tradition in permanent laser hair removal for darker hairs and lighter skin. Other more innovative laser systems are now available.
This laser is a medical laser – the “heavy artillery” in laser hair removal and the fastest laser for laser hair removal. It is suitable for treating larger areas, especially light to darker skin (phototype I-IV skin). Worldwide, these are the most widely used lasers for hair removal.
For which skin phototypes is the alexandrite laser suitable?
It is suitable for lighter skin types. It is ideal for those who have skin types I, II, III to IV.
What are the advantages of the Alexandrite laser?
– Its wavelength is best absorbed into melanin, i.e. treatments with it are most effective;
– Treatments with it are the fastest because the area to be treated does not have to be repeated, gel applied, etc;
– Procedures with it are the most painless;
– It has a very good degree of penetration into the skin;
– The only effective laser for finer and thinner hairs;
– The most effective laser for fair skin types.
What are the disadvantages of the alexandrite laser?
– The investment in a good alexandrite laser is very large and not many centers can afford it;
– Not suitable for darker skin (V, VI phototype);
What are the popular brands of Alexandrite laser systems?
The most popular alexandrite lasers are:
Cynosure, EpiTouch Plus, GentleLase
What is the specification of Alexandrite laser?
Frequency: Up to 3 Hz
Pulse duration: 0.5 – 300 ms
Laser spot (working field): 3-24 mm
Energy range: 5 – 60 J/cm3
Alexandrite lasers are the most effective laser hair removal systems of all lasers, the only ones also effective on finer and thinner hairs, offer very fast treatments but are not recommended for dark skin.
Diode lasers are non-medical laser systems and are considered a compromise option in the choice of lasers for laser hair removal. They are suitable for cosmetic centers and do not require medical training of the operator. They are suitable for all skin types, relatively effective on thick and dark hairs and ineffective on finer and thinner hairs. Diode laser systems do not offer high power and a wide range of settings, making their options in laser hair removal very limited.
For which phototypes is the diode laser suitable?
The diode laser is used on all skin types.
What are the advantages of the Diode laser?
– Safe treatments due to the small range of settings and power;
– Works all skin types;
– Small investment for centers;
What are the disadvantages of the Diode laser?
– Poor results after 1-2 treatments;
– Ineffective on fine and thin hairs;
– Gel is applied to the treatment area;
– Usually these laser systems are used by non-medical persons, which leads to poor results and compromised treatments.
What are the side effects of Diode laser?
It can cause mild scarring, burns, lightening, redness and swelling of the skin which subside in a short time.
What are the popular brands of Diode lasers?
The most popular diode laser devices are:
SLP 100, Olive, F1 Diode, MeDioStar, Light Sheer, LaserLite, Apex 800 and Epistar
What is the specification of the diode laser?
Wavelength: 800, 810 nm
Frequency: 1 Hz – 15 Hz
Laser spot (working field) – 9 mm
Pulse duration: 5 – 30 ms
Energy range: 10 – 40 J/cm3
The diode laser is safe and effective for reducing unwanted hair only in the first treatments, after which you should switch to another laser – preferably an alexandrite laser. It can be applied to all skin types.
The Nd:Yag laser is a medical laser with a long wavelength pulse and can be used safely on all skin types, including tanned skin (phototype I-VI skin).
The fast repetition rate and penetration capability allow large areas to be treated relatively quickly. Most patients who have used this laser experience discomfort during the procedure. This laser is used for laser hair removal mainly when the alexandrite laser is not possible to perform treatments – for dark skin – phototype V and VI or when the center does not have an alexandrite laser.
For which skin phototypes is the Nd:Yag laser suitable?
– The Nd:Yag laser can be used for all skin types (I-VI);
– It is also effective for darker skin or skin with a tan.
What are the advantages of the Nd:Yag laser?
– Works on almost all skin types, including darker skin and skin with a tan;
– Nd:Yag laser is recommended for darker and pigmented skin;
– many other treatments are performed with the Nd:YAG laser – laser rejuvenation, onychomycosis (nail fungus), capillary treatment;
What are the disadvantages of the Nd:Yag laser?
– Nd:YAG laser procedures are painful;
– It is not effective on thin and fine hairs;
What are the side effects of the Nd:Yag laser?
There is a risk of burns, scarring, redness, skin lightening, and swelling.
What are the popular brands of Nd:Yag lasers?
The most popular Nd:Yag laser systems on the market are:
Cutera, CoolGlide, Fotona, Athos, Medlite IV, Varia, Lyra and Image
What is the specification of the Nd:Yag laser?
Wavelength: 1064 nm
Frequency: Up to 10 Hz
Pulse duration: 10 – 50 ms
Laser spot (working field): 3-5 mm
Energy range: 20 – 100 J/cm3
The Nd:Yag laser is a laser system for laser hair removal in the absence of alexandrite laser or in phototype V and VI skin. Its greatest advantage is that it treats all skin types and in particular darker skin and tanned skin. This is an advantage that other lasers cannot boast. With fine and light hairs, results cannot be expected.
Schedule a Consultation in
Book a consultation at Skin Line Plovdiv
Plovdiv, 91 Maritsa Blvd.
Book consultation in:
Book a consultation at Skin Line Sofia Mladost
Sofia, Mladost 4, Blvd. Aleksandar Malinov 91
Book a consultation at Skin Line Sofia Center
Sofia, 12-16 Dragan Tsankov Blvd.