Laser Hair Removal
An effective and safe laser scanner hair removal – more than professional care
Excessive or unwanted hair growth is a problem faced by both women and men. Almost everybody has experience in the use of various methods, unfortunately not effective, or short lasting , like shaving, waxing, electric hair removal as well as non-professional hair removal machins, using flash lamps of questionable result.
Laser hair removal is a method, which has proven its undeniable efficiency. High-quality laser hair removal leaves behind all methods, by offering a clinically proven LONG-LASTING solution. Furthermore, this method is faster, painless, and more comfortable. The result is visible after the first procedure, and after several treatments, the problem remains in the past. Skin is smooth and tender.
The principle on which laser hair removal is based is named “selective photothermolysis”. It is achieved by a highly precise technology – laser /”LASER” – stimulated expulsion of light with high energy. The laser is producing light, concentrated in a thin and coherent optical ray with a precise length of the wave, i.e. all the particles move in one direction. The effect of those rays is precisely measured and the produced and expulsed energy remains stable. The length of the wave allows the light to be absorbed by the pigment melanin, a main part of the hair follicle, but it cannot be absorbed by the surrounding tissue, focusing the energy of the laser to the follicle it has to affect. The energy, by itself, destroys the follicle with heat.
The choice of the correct type of laser from the proven manufacturers of such machines is highly important in order to achieve good results from the procedure laser hair removal. A few kinds of laser systems exist, which produce light with different wavelength and duration of the impulse for absorption by the melanin in the follicle. The wavelength and duration of the impulse have the main role for the precision of the method and the effectiveness of the procedure.
Types of laser systems
Rubin laser (wavelength 694nm)
Rubin laser (wavelength 694nm) is the first laser, which is already in history. Its capabilities are very limited in treating dark hair and light skin (phototype 1 and 2).
Alexandrite laser (wavelength 755nm)
The Alexandrite laser is “the heavy artillery” in laser hair removal – less procedures needed and unbeatable result – up to 97% less hair. After its creation in 1997 and patenting in 2011 by the American company Cynosure for laser hair removal, this laser has established itself as the most widely used and as a synonym for the procedure “laser hair removal” in the biggest markets for aesthetic services in the world – USA, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, and others. The new generation of effective alexandrite lasers achieve the fastest time for a singular procedure, as they do not require the application of gel before the treatment and the cleaning up after it. This is the only laser which achieves successful results when treating light, fine and thin hairs. It is suitable for procedures on any skin type except dark and tanned skin (phototype 1-4). Due to the specific wavelength of 755nm, which is absorbed most by the melanin in the hairs, the alexandrite laser manages to achieve best results in the lowest energy levels, making treatment with it painless.
Nd:Yag laser (with wavelength 1064nm),
Its wavelenght corresponds with the infrared zone of the light spectrum. It expulses stable energy and is effective for all skin types. An advantage of Nd:Yag is its ability to identify differences in the concentration of melanin in both hair and skin. It successfully treats darker skin (phototype 5 and 6). A disadvantage is the more painful sensation during the procedures.
Diode laser (wavelength between 800 and 810nm)
The diode laser is generally different from all others, it is built by diodes, which in combination create the source of light in the laser. This system is especially planned and targeted towards the mass user – usually a cosmetic studio. Those laser systems are characterized by a decreased power, and do not require the operator to have medical education, which makes the procedures very safe, but also way less effective. Diode lasers can be used on all skin types (from 1 to 6). It is very effective for treating thick and hard hair (the first laser procedures) and not effective when treating thin and lighter hair.
Laser systems in Skin Line Clinic
The Skin Line Clinic has 5 different laser systems at the centers in Varna and Sofia
Number and frequency of procedures
Hair growth is cyclical and asynchronous. There are three different growth phases – anagenous, katagenous, telogenous. Laser hair remmoval only destroys the hair follicle while it is in a growth stage. This is why, in order to achieve a long term effect, a few procedures have to be done. They should be done in 3 to 5 weeks interval. Their exact number is individual for every client and skin type. Even after the first procedure, a big number of hair follicles are destroyed, while the others become anthropic. The procedure laser hair removal doesn`t only reduce the amount of hair, but also noticeably slows its growth. It is very important that the intervals between the procedures are observed, in order to treat the maximum possible amount of hairs in their active phase. A longer period between procedures would increase the number of necessary procedures, which, for lasting hair removal are between 4 and 6 procedures for zones on the body and 6 to 8 procedures for face.
Laser hair removal is a medical procedure, which is conducted by a trained and experienced professional. A consultation with a doctor is conducted before the first procedure.
Before and after the procedure
- the hair shouldn’t be removed with tweezers, waxing, and other similar methods 2-3 weeks before the first procedures
- the hair should be shaved on the day before the procedure for the areas of the body and shortened with scissors for the areas of the face, so that there is 1mm long hair during the procedure (for laser hair removal with Cynosure Elite+/Apogee+ and Dualis by Fotona). Do not use trimmer, razor or depilatory cream for the areas of the face because they will make the hair dicker and will stimulate the hair growth.
- during the whole period between the procedures, the hairs could be shaved or shortened as written above, but it is recommended to do this only the day before the procedure. Do not use tweezers, waxing or epilator between the procedures laser hair removal because this will break the hair growth and lead to uneffective procedures.
- Sunscreen with a maximum factor of protection (SPF 50) has to be used even after the procedure
- you should avoid sun exposure, using tanning beds, self-tanning products, whitening products, peeling products, acids, medicaments that increase photosensitivity
- Sometimes, right after the procedure, it is possible for some erythema, swelling, or itching in the treated zone, which passes in a short time period (from a few minutes or hours to one or two days). It doesn’t require any specific medical care
- It is possible for hypo- or hyperpigmentation to occur, however, it is temporary and doesn’t require medical care
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Herpes infection
- Exposed wounds, infections
- Usage of photosensitive medication
- Radiation therapy in the treated zone